Complying with Public Health Orders and Speaking in Public Forums: Expectations for Pharmacy Professionals - Read more


Pharmacists From Outside of Canada

If you have graduated from a pharmacy program outside of Canada, you can register as a pharmacist in Manitoba as an international pharmacy graduate (IPG).

How to Register as a Manitoba Pharmacist From Outside Canada

Before the application process begins with the College, you must enrol in Pharmacist’s Gateway Canada and go through the Pharmacist Examining Board of Canada (PEBC) document evaluation process.

The Pharmacist’s Gateway Canada website provides information and telephone support to potential applicants. You will also find self-assessment tools on this website. These tools will help you determine if you are ready to start the process of becoming licensed as a pharmacist in Manitoba.

Use the step-by-step process below to guide you through the registration and licensure application process. Be sure to click on and read through each step.

Step 1: Fulfill Foundational Qualifications

You must meet the following criteria before you submit an application for registration with the College:

Pass the PEBC Evaluating and Qualifying Examinations. You have three years to apply for registration and licensure with the College once you have passed these exams. Please visit for more information.

Language proficiency in either English or French. You must meet the minimum language proficiency requirements set by the National Association of Regulatory Authorities (NAPRA). The evidence of your language proficiency must be dated within two years of your College application as described in Step 2.

Exemptions from Standard Language Proficiency Requirements

The College may exempt you from the standard language proficiency requirement if you meet one of the following conditions:

  1. You have completed a minimum of four years of Canadian secondary (high school) education in mostly English.

    If you wish to seek an exemption under this condition, you must provide the College with the following documents:

    • A notarized copy of your high school transcript, and
    • A letter from you that explains why you should be exempt

    If any of your Canadian secondary school (high school) grades are less than 70 per cent, and you attended a foreign non-English speaking university pharmacy program, we may require that you show proof of fluency.

  2. You have completed post-secondary (university) education at an institution that is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), or Canadian Council For Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs(CCCAP) within North America.If you wish to seek an exemption under this condition, you must arrange for an original letter of standing to be sent from your current or most recent licensing body directly to the College.

Step 2: Prepare Your Application for Registration and Initial Licensure

Complete the College Application for Registration and Initial Licensure for Graduates of a Faculty of Pharmacy Outside of Canada.

If the application is incomplete, it will delay the review and approval process.

Send the completed application form and fee to the College, in addition to the supporting documents listed below.

  • Notarized Documents

    You must get all of the following documents notarized by a notary public in Canada:

    1. An original passport size and style photograph placed on white paper for the notary public to sign and seal. See an example.
    2. A copy of your birth certificate. If the name on your application is not the same as the name on your birth certificate, you must include a notarized copy of a name change certificate. If your birth certificate or name change certificate is not in English, you must have these documents translated by a certified translator. See the How to Submit Translated Documents instructions for guidance.
    3. A copy of your Canadian citizenship landed immigrant status, or work visa document.
    4. A notarized statement of registration background and disclosures.  Use the NOTARIZED STATEMENT template provided.
  • PEBC Qualification Certificate

    You must submit a copy of your PEBC Qualification Certificate or a copy of your letter from PEBC confirming qualification. The date of this document must be within three years before completing registration and licensure with the College.

  • Proof of Language Proficiency

    If you do not qualify for an exemption, you must submit documentation to the College of your language proficiency dated within two years before completing registration and licensure with the College. Note the following:

    • TOEFL, MELAB, and CanTEST results must be mailed directly from the language proficiency assessment centre to the College
    • IELTS results can be submitted to the College by the applicant
  • Letter of Standing

    You can choose one of the following options to submit a letter of standing to the College:

    1. You must arrange for an original letter of standing to be sent from your current or most recent licensing authority directly to the College; OR
    2. The College can access your PEBC letter of standing directly from Pharmacist’s Gateway Canada.

    Your letter of standing must be dated within two years before completing registration and licensure with the College.

    If you cannot provide a letter of standing to satisfy this requirement, please provide a signed and notarized statement that includes the following:

    1. I am unable to provide a current letter of standing from (insert name of body where you currently have or had a license) in (insert city and country) because (insert your explanation);
    2. I have not worked as a pharmacist since leaving my practice from (insert the country of your last licensure), the country of my last licensure; and
    3. I have no history or outstanding matters of discipline or complaint investigation as a pharmacist.
  • Criminal Record, Vulnerable Sector Search, and Adult and Child Abuse Registry Checks

    Your application to the College to practice as a pharmacy student or intern, pharmacy technician, or pharmacist must include a

    • Criminal Record Check including a Vulnerable Sector Search;
    • Adult Abuse Registry Check; and
    • Child Abuse Registry Check.

    These Checks must be dated within six months before you submit your application to the College. For example, if your application is dated and submitted to the College on June 1, your Criminal Record and Abuse Registry Checks must be dated and submitted within January 1 and June 1 of that year.

    The name you list on your Checks must match your name on other application documents, exactly. If it is impossible to match your names exactly, all variations of your name used on your application documents must be listed as aliases on the Checks.

    What is a Criminal Record Check?

    A Criminal Record Check (sometimes called a police record check) indicates if you have been charged with or convicted of a crime. Your Criminal Record Check must be performed by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) or another Canadian police service, which confirms the check was completed using Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) and based on the National Repository of Criminal Records of Canada.

    What is a Vulnerable Sector Search?

    A Vulnerable Sector Search is an additional police information search to see if a person has a record suspension (pardon) for sexual offences.

    How do I Submit a Criminal Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Search to the College?

    Outside of British Columbia (BC), a Vulnerable Sector Search must be conducted by the local police service where you live. Within BC, vulnerable sector checks can be conducted by the local police or the British Columbia Criminal Records Review Program.

    If you live in Winnipeg and you have been a resident of Canada for at least one year, you can complete your Criminal and Vulnerable Sector Search online through the Winnipeg Police Service (WPS):

    When you apply for a criminal record check from the WPS, you must select the College of Pharmacists of Manitoba (CPhM) as an agent. The WPS online system will automatically send notice to CPhM when your check is ready. CPhM will download an electronic version of the report directly from the website. You are not required to send a copy to the CPhM office.

    If you live in a rural community in Manitoba with a local police service, you may apply for a Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Search through your local detachment. Some examples include the Brandon Police Service, Altona Police Service, or Winkler Police Service.

    If you live outside Winnipeg or outside of Manitoba, you can complete your Criminal Record Check with the RCMP or your local police service, but your Vulnerable Sector Search must be completed by the police service where you live.

    What are the Adult and Child Abuse Registry Checks?

    The Adult Abuse Registry lists people who have abused or neglected a vulnerable adult such as a person with a disability. For more information, visit

    The Child Abuse Registry lists people who have abused or neglected children. For more information, visit

    How Do I Submit the Adult and Child Abuse Registry Checks to the College?

    You must apply directly to the Adult Abuse Registry and Child Abuse Registry to obtain these checks. The Checks cannot be forwarded to a third-party. Please submit your original Checks with your application.

Step 3: Submit Your Application and Supporting Documents to the College for Review and Approval

The College Registrar will review your application and supporting documents. You cannot start your internship, as described in Step 4, until your application is approved by the College Registrar.

The College processes a maximum of five international pharmacy graduate applications each month. Applications are reviewed in the order they are received. If the College cannot process your application in the month it is received, the College will send you an email to let you know when it will be completed.

The College may consider expediting your application only if you have found an internship preceptor who has a position available and who has agreed to hire you once you are registered and licensed as a pharmacist in Manitoba. For the College to consider expediting your application, the preceptor must address a letter to the College Registrar stating the pharmacy’s staffing needs and how you will help meet that need. Please send this letter by email to the Registration Officer at

Note: The pharmacist you selected to act as your preceptor must be approved by the College before they can act as your preceptor. Please see Step 4 for more information about internships and preceptors.

Step 4: Complete a 600-Hour Internship

You can begin your internship only once the College has approved

  1. your application as described in Step 2; and
  2. the preceptor you chose to oversee your internship.

You are responsible for finding a preceptor to oversee your internship. You can use the College’s pharmacy register to search for a practice site. You can also search job postings on the Pharmacists Manitoba website.

Once you have found a pharmacist to act as your preceptor, the pharmacist must complete a Preceptor Application (available on their Registrant Portal), submit it to the College, and be approved to act as your preceptor before you start your internship.

Please note the following before you choose a pharmacist to act as your preceptor:

  • Your internship must include 400 hours of direct patient care. Make sure the practice site can provide this before selecting your preceptor.
  • Your immediate family members cannot act as preceptors. This includes parents, children, husbands, wives, aunts, uncles, grandparents, grandchildren, sisters, brothers, and in-laws.
  • You cannot transfer internship hours spent with one preceptor to another preceptor. You will need the College Registrar’s approval if you decide to change your internship site or preceptor.

For more information about internships, please see Frequently Asked Questions for Interns and Preceptors and the Internship Manual.

Step 5: Successfully Complete the Jurisprudence Examination

You are eligible to complete the Jurisprudence Examination after you have completed 200 hours of your internship and the College has received your first internship evaluation.

You must complete the College Jurisprudence Examination with a minimum grade of 70 percent. You will write the Jurisprudence Examination at the College office and you will have three hours to complete it. This is a closed book exam and you can find study materials and additional information here.

Step 6: College Processes Your Application and Licence

After you have fulfilled the registration and licensing requirements listed in Steps 1 through 5, the College will process and send your licence to you.